Thursday, 16 July 2015
Yesterday, the City Council announced the detail of Phase 2 of the changes to bin collection and recycling arrangements for the West End (and parts of the Lochee Ward). The Environment Department advises me that :
"Arrangements for Phase 2
• First collections – these will start w/c Monday 9th November 2015.
• Bin deliveries – these will take place during the two weeks prior to commencement (w/c 26th October & w/c 2nd November).Combined collection calendars and full service information leaflets will also be delivered during this period.
• Teaser leaflets –Phase 2 residents will have received notification of the forthcoming changes via a “teaser” leaflet to be delivered mid-September – this leaflet will advertise local roadshows and events, as well as providing information on the new service. This information will also signpost residents to the council website, e-mail address and phone line, should they have any queries.
• Consultation and engagement – a range of consultation & engagement activities will be ongoing throughout the phase 2 area during the summer and autumn, with residents notified of meetings & events via press, local advertising and, where applicable, by letter. We will, of course, notify Councillors in the affected areas of any meetings, roadshows or events taking place within their ward."
Main features include :
• Weekly separate food waste collection
• Increased range of materials accepted in blue bins. This is currently used for paper and card but will be able to also accept plastics and metal. Frequency of uplifts to change from 4-weekly to 2-weekly
• Slimline burgundy bin for mixed glass - collected 4-weekly
• Reduction from weekly to fortnightly general waste collections
• Expanded assisted collection service - now available for blue & burgundy bin collections
• No change to garden waste service
In phase 2 of are the areas around Tullideph Pentland City Road Brook Street, eastern part of Blackness Road, Peddie Street, South Tay Street and Windsor Street. There is a significant change to the Phase 2 that was originally agreed at council committee in that the Perth Road Lanes and surrounding area is now excluded, something I have queried with the Environment Department.
A plan showing the areas that are included is below - although you can click here to download a high-definition PDF map that allows you to zoom to show particular streets :
Last night's Evening Telegraph article also highlighted my concerns about the continued inadequate serving of the Roseangle Recycling Centre. This has been an on-going issue and I have received the following assurance from the City Council :
"We will be reconfiguring the bin types and capacities at Roseangle over the coming days. This work is currently being scheduled."
As you can see (below) the Roseangle centre was given a tidy up earlier this week following my raising the latest concern :
I have also been promised similar attention to the overflowing centre at Kings Cross Road, following a complaint to me about it from a City Road constituent who uses that centre regularly.