Saturday, August 25, 2012

Concern over West End blaze

As reported in the Evening Telegraph last night, the Courier and on local radio and TV, there was a significant and concerning blaze at Victor's Fish and Chip shop and at surrounding flats in Blackness Road in the early hours of yesterday morning.

I visited the scene yesterday morning and talked with constituents, being most concerned for the 26 constituents who were forced to flee their homes.   This was a serious fire and I am just relieved that no-one was hurt.   I’ve been in touch with Tayside Fire and Rescue to thank them for their sterling efforts and professionalism.

Obviously it’s a relief that everyone got out unscathed and I hope all residents can get back into their homes as soon as possible.   Victor’s is something of a local institution, a much loved chip shop and well used by the local community, so we hope the business can have necessary repairs undertaken and be back as soon as possible.

A photograph of the street yesterday is below:
In a separate development, slightly further west on Blackness Road, a water pipe "blew" in the plant room late on Thursday afternoon at the new primary/nursery schools site.    I am assured by City Council officers that the incident was fairly minor in that, although Tayside Fire and Rescue came out with an appliance,  the water was switched off with their stopcock key and there was no need to pump water out.   I am assured that this incident will not affect the October entry date for the schools.  

I spoke about the blaze on Wave 102 news this morning - click 'play' below to listen: