Monday, 24 November 2014
Earlier today, I was pleased to take part in today's Shelter Scotland event in the City Centre to highlight its Make Renting Right campaign. See photo below :
With 312,000 households in Scotland currently living in the private rented sector (13 percent of all households) and with the number of families living in the private rented sector more than doubling in the last 10 years we believe it’s time to make renting right. We want to see a safer, more secure and flexible private renting market that works for tenants and landlords.
Shelter Scotland wants to see the right private housing in Scotland which works for both tenants and landlords so Shelter is calling for:
1. Stability for people wanting to make rented housing their home
2. The flexibility for people to stay in their home as long as they want to
3. A modern tenancy that gives security and flexibility for tenants and landlords
4. A fair system for sorting out renting problems when they occur
5. Predictable rents for tenants and landlords
Representing the West End area with its large proportion of privately rented homes, I consider this campaign by Shelter to be of vital importance and am therefore pleased to give the campaign my strong support.