Saturday, 4 September 2010

Peddie Street fire - an update

Further to my recent item about the blaze affecting the front of 97 Peddie Street, it appears that a mattress stuffed in a wheelie bin sitting outside the tenement was set alight, possibly by a discarded cigarette.

It absolutely highlights the need to get rid of the bins that sit permanently on the pavement - this blaze could have had very serious consequences.

The Head of Waste Management at Dundee City Council has replied to me in the following terms :

" ... we have arranged to meet the City Engineer regarding the installation of street bins at the above and other locations within the West End.

We will keep you abreast of developments following our meeting which we hope will remedy some the issues which have appeared recently in your area."

I welcome the move to look at alternatives to the wheelie bin collection in this part of Peddie Street and will be meeting with council officers to discuss this matter further.