Tuesday, 20 November 2018
Saturday 24th November sees the start of the West End Christmas Fortnight, which will be launched with a children’s crafts event followed by fortnight of many activities across the West End.
A highlight of the fortnight will be the Christmas Lights Switch On for the West End and a spectacular fireworks extravaganza, taking place on Wednesday 28th November. This year’s West End Christmas Concert takes place that evening at Dundee West Church at 6.15pm. There will be musical contributions from all local primary and secondary schools. The concert will be hosted by Gordon Sharp.
We are delighted that “The Notables” will perform as well as local school pupils – it will be a great concert and everyone is very welcome to attend. Mains of Fintry Pipe Band will pipe everyone from the church to Seabraes for the Christmas Lights Switch-On.
At 7pm, Better Taygether singers will perform by the tree and thereafter at 7.20pm the West End Christmas Lights will be switched on at Seabraes by Santa.
There will again be a spectacular fireworks display after the lights switch-on.
West End Christmas Fortnight is packed with events and we hope that, as in the past 18 years, the local community will take part. We are extremely grateful to all the local businesses for their support of the Christmas Fortnight, without which the events would not be possible.
Other main West End Christmas Fortnight events include :
• Saturday 24th November : Christmas Fortnight starts with the West End Christmas Fortnight’s lovely children's craft event led by the wonderful Lisa Earl of Create … Kids Create Craft Workshops. Taking place at Logie St John’s (Cross) Church Hall, this event is most suited to young school aged children.
• Monday 26th November and Monday 3rd December : Children’s craft activity at Blackness Library.
• Friday 30th November – The Christmas Lights Switch on in West Port at 5pm – includes a choir at 4.30pm, piper at 4.50pm, apple spiced Christmas drinks and hot chocolate for the children.
• Saturday 1st December – Free Christmas card making at Gallery 48, West Port.
• Saturday 1st December – Soup and pudding community lunch in Dundee West Church, 132 Perth Road.
• Friday 7th December – Friends of the University of Dundee Botanic Garden’s children’s activities and a “Walk in the Dark”
• Saturday 8th December – Free Christmas decoration making workshop at Gallery 48, West Port.
• Over Christmas Fortnight – Window Spotting Competition for children – prizes include a family membership of the Botanic Garden.