Sunday, 5 April 2020
Further update - for Sunday 5th April 2020 from Councillor Fraser Macpherson (West End) and Councillor Craig Duncan (Broughty Ferry)
Sadly, the last few days have seen yet more cases of Coronavirus in Scotland and more deaths across the country. That makes it all the more important that we all continue to :
• stay at home
• only go outside for essential food, health and work reasons
• stay 2 metres (6 feet) away from other people
• wash our hands regularly
• wash our hands as soon as we get home
Doing this will help slow the spread of Coronavirus, protect the NHS and save lives.
A list of free, online, boredom-busting resources at the ChatterPack blog has published a fantastic list of free online resources to help tackle boredom. Amongst many other things, this includes virtual tours, games, arts and culture, literature, online learning and music. Find out more at https://chatterpack.net/blogs/blog/list-of-online-resources-for-anyone-who-is-isolated-at-home
Pay using contactless if you can
The World Health Organisation advice is to pay in shops using a contactless card whenever possible to reduce the amount of cash people handle. Helpfully, on 1st April, the limit for contactless payments in the UK increased from £30 to £45. It will though take some time for this to roll out to all retailers. If you do handle banknotes, WHO advice is to wash your hands immediately afterwards.
Watch out for fake news
Fake news or misinformation about Coronavirus is flooding the internet. For the latest accurate information check NHS Inform at https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses-and-conditions/infections-and-poisoning/coronavirus-covid-19
You can also check whether "news" shared online is true by checking whether major news providers such as the BBC, STV, ITV or Sky are reporting it. There’s an explanatory video from the BBC at https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/stories-52118949/coronavirus-how-can-you-stop-the-spread-of-misinformation.
Revised bus and rail timetables
The lockdown has meant big changes to bus and rail timetable. The links below take you to the latest information from the bus and rail companies:
• Stagecoach : https://www.stagecoachbus.com/service-updates/serviceupdatesarticle?SituationId=ID-30/03/2020-13:03:57:907
Personal finance support
The Financial Conduct Authority has proposed a range of targeted temporary measures designed as a stopgap to quickly support users of certain consumer credit products who are facing a financial impact because of the coronavirus. After a short consultation it is intended the measures would start by 9th April 2020. The measures are:
• A temporary payment freeze on loans and credit cards where consumers face difficulties with their finances as a result of coronavirus, for up to three months.
• Ensure that for customers who have been hit financially by the coronavirus and already have an arranged overdraft on their main personal current account, up to £500 will be charged at zero interest for up to three months.
• Overdraft customers will be no worse off on price when compared to the prices they were charged before the recent overdraft changes came into force.
• Ensure consumers using any of these temporary measures should not have their credit rating affected because of this.
Business Gateway - Dundee
Business Gateway has produced a list of support that is available to businesses can be downloaded as a PDF from the link at https://www.bgateway.com/resources/finance-and-grant-announcements. It includes information on all business funding and grants made available during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. It is being updated daily so please check back for further updates.
Business Gateway Dundee contact details can be found at https://www.bgateway.com/local-offices/dundee/local-support
Support and advice
This is an anxious and uncertain time but we want you to know that we are here to try to help constituents in whatever way that we can.
WEST END WARD – Bailie Fraser Macpherson
Phone – Dundee 459378 (home)
E-mail – email@example.com
Facebook updates : www.facebook.com/dundeewestend